Friday, September 30, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Thank you for all the September Crush of the Month suggestions!  Great vampires and werewolves (and some regular old people).  And now...


I'm reposting my Afterglow review as part of Tracey Neithercott's Fall Book Club.

Excerpted summary from Goodreads:


A mysterious island.
An abandoned orphanage.
A strange collection of very curious photographs.
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience.

The afterglow:


I was never going to read this book.

I'd originally bought it as a birthday gift for my Boba 4 Eva co-vlogger Krispy - only she'd bought it four days before in a Border's closing sale.

Here I was, stuck with a creepy book with no easy return.

So I starting reading.

After 30 pages flew by I considered keeping it.

200 pages later I was hooked.  I'd stayed up until 6 a.m. reading books before, but never until 9 a.m.  (Yes, I said a.m.  Granted I didn't start until 5 a.m.)

Aptly published by Quirk, this debut novel at turns charmed, terrified, moved, and nauseated me.  (I don't recommend eating while reading...)

One of the most interesting things is seeing how Riggs wove the photos - all found and unaltered - into a narrative that was not only entertaining, but tightly woven with a terrific twist.  It's like reading an extremely well-written creative writing class prompt that continued until it became an emotionally true story.  The last two photos are just breathtaking; they stun the heart.

Jacob, the protag, has a wonderful voice, and each character is well-enunciated.  This is a rare book that stands out for its originality.  Don't you dare buy this in anything other than its hardcover - there's a cute little surprise on the cover underneath the jacket.

I'm so glad a mix-up forced me to read this book!

10 comments:

  1. I really loved this one, too. The story was amazing, but the photos really made it something unique and special! Glad you ended up enjoying it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. I read it in two settings, but I'm totally with you. And those photos!! LORD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.... I Love dogs too.... I've heard of this book before and now that I've read what you wrote I think I'm going to have to find a copy to read...if for no other reason than curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo! I wanted to read this before, but now I am desperate. I need a good freaky read for October.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this the other day and can't wait to read it.

    As soon as I finish A Dance with Dragons.

    And The Night Circus.

    And A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome....

    Oh brother...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting...I usually read things that play with my mind becos I scare too easy but might be a good try! Love the cover art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, the cover alone gives me goosebumps!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT?! I didn't know about the surprise under the book jacket. I borrowed it from the library and can't get the jacket off - guess I'll be looking for this at the book store. SO intrigued!

    And I really enjoyed this one. It took me a while to get into as well, but once I was in, I didn't want to put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wooah that book cover is CREEPY. I love it! Adding this to my Goodreads list! :D Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kinda wanna read this now. Dammit. I have too many books in my TBR. GAH.

    ReplyDelete

I love dogs AND comments!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...